Start Dumbarton dating

Dumbarton dating

To get the most out of our interactive map, please select the ‘Satellite’ option below; which in our opinion, allows you to more fully appreciate the castle and its defences from above.

Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply. Built in 1567 by the Clan Brodie, the castle was destroyed by fire in 1645 by members of the Clan Gordon during the Scottish Civil War.

It was expanded into a mansion house in the Scots Baronial style in 1824 and continued as the Brodie family home until Ninian Brodie of Brodie died in 2003.

Impressive and well preserved moated triangular castle, built in the 13th century.

Started in 1575 by the 6th Laird of Fraser, the castle was completed in 1636.

Dating from around 1600, the two-storey tower was connected by a causeway to the southern bank of the loch. Imposing remains of 15th century tower house with later additions.

Originally the property of the Clan Stuart, it passed by marriage to Colin Campbell, who had the name changed to Castle Campbell by an Act of Parliament in 1489.

Following the quashing of the Jacobite Rebellion at the Battle of Culloden in 1746, the castle was rebuilt and became a garrison for Hanovarian troops.